Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lassen Volcanic National Park


I kind of forgot about this blog for a few days-oops!

I was in Michigan last weekend. My sister was visiting from San Francisco with her two kids, so I went to go spend some time with my adorable nieces. Upon returning, I was preoccupied with planning my vacation and recovering from a very painful pinched nerve in my back.

Anyway, here's a photo from my vacation last year. It was shot in Lassen Volcanic National Park in Northern California, in an area of the park known as Bumpass Hell. It was named after someone who was exploring the geothermal features, and fell through the thin crust of earth. He ended up losing a leg which was badly burned in the boiling water.

It's a beautiful area, and very remote. It was about a 2 1/2 mile hike from a small parking area to Bumpass Hell. I can't imagine doing it with a horribly scalded leg when there was no road through the park, and no nearby civilization.

This year's vacation will be more urban. I'm spending a few days in San Francisco (more time with my nieces), then catching a train to Portland, Oregon. If any of you have been there and have suggestions of what to see, let me know.

No comments: