Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Difference


I shot this when I was in Amsterdam in 2007. It's an advertisement for some art installation pieces that were scattered around the central city area. All of those pieces featured nude figures similar to the ones on that poster.

That's one of the differences between The Netherlands and the US. No one bats an eyelash at displays like this in Amsterdam (you should see the photo I took of a piece displayed in the town square at the photo festival in the Netherlands village of Naarden), but I don't even want to think of the shitstorm of controversy that would erupt if someone tried a similar thing here.


Here's one of the pieces I mentioned above. It's taken at a bad angle, I shot this so that I could see the actual piece. if seen from head on, looking down the canal, it looks like a bridge made of nude people. It blends in well with the surrounding scenery. From a few feet away, It's hard to tell it's a photo.

No comments: