Friday, October 9, 2009

We Now Have Proof!


I love collage. I've worked in the medium on and off for about 25 years, and even wrote my Master's thesis on collage theory. I probably would never have become interested in photography had I not been working in collage. I first started making photographs as a way of obtaining source material for collages (ironically, I've rarely made collages with original photographs. I prefer using appropriated images for them).

While this blog is focused on casual photos (as opposed to my more 'serious' art, which you can find on Lightbender, my other blog), I thought it would be fun to share some collages over the next few days. Most of my collages contain a significant amount of photography, even if they're not my photos.

This one is one of the first collages I can remember making, and it's always been one of my favorites. I made this in 1984, using images from a stack of 1950's homemaker's magazines I had bought at a garage sale. I wish I had dome something different with the text, but other than that, I think it's a decent collage.

No comments: