Friday, April 27, 2012

St. Casimir Lithuanian Cemetery


In the book Unexpected Chicagoland, there are a few photos shot at St. Casimir Lithuanian Cemetery. They're in the book because many of the markers there have a unique modern design, looking as much like modernist sculpture as grave markers. I drive right by that cemetery every day on my way to work, and it's been in the back of my mind to go look around there. I finally did jut that a few weeks ago, and was glad I did. The gravestones at St. Casimir are unlike any I've seen anywhere else. Many are made of metal with a rust patina, like the one above. Others are granite, but have a lot of texture and interesting design. Some of these markers reminded me a bit of sculpture in the Communist Sculpture Park in Budapest I visited a few years ago.


These photos were all shot with my digital camera, and were intended to capture the markers, not to be great photos. Over the next few days, I'll post photos shot with my toy cameras that are hopefully a little more creative.









No comments: